Braised Short Ribs
Short ribs are braised in a sweet, spicy and tangy beef broth and seasoned with Chinese five spice and cinnamon. These delicious flavors are further enhanced with garlic, scallions, ginger and chilies – classic to both Chinese and Vietnamese cuisines.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup KA–ME® Rice Vinegar
- 6 cups beef stock, low-sodium
- 1/2 cup KA–ME® Fish Sauce
- 4 lbs short ribs
- 6 whole dried red chilies
- 1 garlichead, cloves separated and peeled
- 6 scallions, trimmed and halved
- 2 oz. ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, place sugar and 2 tbsp KA–ME Rice Vinegar and melt to a deep golden color, about 5 minutes. Add beef stock and KA–ME Fish Sauce, and remaining vinegar, and stir until caramelized.
- Add the short ribs, chilies, garlic, scallions, ginger, five-spice powder and cinnamon. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until short ribs are fork tender, about 4 hours.
- You can serve over KA–ME Hokkien Stir-Fry Noodles for a balanced meal.